When we talk of health and wellness and the problems related to it, being overweight is the most common health issue faced by the Indian population. Being overweight and obese is a concerning issue as it leads to many other secondary severe diseases or disorders. Proper diet and lifestyle management can prevent obesity to a large extent. So here are some commonly preferred diets which will do wonders if you employ them to your weight loss journey.
A vegan diet is one of the most common and one of the most effective diets for weight loss. It mainly eliminates meat, dairy, eggs, and animal-derived products, such as gelatin, honey, albumin, whey, casein, and some forms of vitamin D3. It is strictly focused on vegetarianism. It is a low fat, high fiber diet. It mainly focuses on low caloric diet only.
For a healthy vegan diet-
- Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Consume more of whole grains and pulses.
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Dairy products like soy and protein can be consumed
A vegan diet is known to be rich in vitamins, calcium, minerals etc. It is quite useful in lowering blood sugar levels, maintaining insulin sensitivity and reducing the risk of Type 2 diabetes. Alongside it helps to keep the heart healthy and reduces cancer risks. Apart from these, it also helps escape the risk of arthritis, kidney disorders and Alzheimer’s disease.
This diet involves most nutrients high in fiber, make lack in other important nutrients like Iodine, Iron, Zinc, Vitamin B12, Omega 3 and 6 etc.
Atkins diet is basically a low carb diet which helps in weight loss. According to this diet, consuming only high protein and fat rich foods greatly helps in weight reduction followed by totally avoiding carbohydrates . This diet has shown great improvements in blood sugar, HDL cholesterol, triglycerides and other fat factors. The main reason why low-carb diets are so effective for weight loss is that a reduction in carbs and increased protein intake lead to reduced appetite, making you eat fewer calories without having to think about it.
The Atkins diet is basically a 4-phase diet-
- Induction- Start with high protein and high fat foods along with low carb sources like green leafy vegetables. This kick starts the weight loss.
- Balancing– Slowly add nuts, some more amount of vegetables and a fruit to your diet.
- Fine tuning– When you are very close to your goal weight, slowly add more carbs to your diet.
- Maintenance– Now you can eat as many healthy carbs as your body can tolerate without regaining weight.
While many people do follow all the four phases, some also skip one or two stages and still get the effective result. So it isn’t compulsory to follow all the steps. It depends on the metabolism and lifestyle of an individual.
Meats, fish, low carb vegetables like green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds, full fat dairy products etc. are involved in the Atkins diet while foods like sugar, grains, vegetable oils, trans fat, high carb vegetables and fruits, starches etc. are restricted in this diet.
The Pritkins diet principle is based on low fat, high fiber and regular exercise. It greatly helps in prevention and reverse effect of heart disorders and help people stay at a healthy weight.
Start each meal with soup, salad, fruit, or whole grains. They will fill you up, so you’re less likely to eat high-fat, high-calorie food.
No more high-calorie drinks, especially soda. A glass of wine daily can be good for the heart, but skip most alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid high-calorie foods.
- Snack at set times and only on healthy foods.
- Choose whole, unprocessed foods as often as possible, and always avoid fast food.
- Exercise regularly and combine walking with strength training.
- Go easy on meat, especially red meat. Instead, opt for fatty fish like salmon.
- Skip extra salt.
- Don’t smoke.
- Ease stress.
Items to minimize include oils, refined sugars, salt, and refined grains. The plan recommends avoiding processed meats, foods high in saturated fat and those made with trans fat, organ meats, processed meats, and high-cholesterol foods like eggs.
This diet can easily work for vegetarians, as it recommends plant protein sources more frequently than animal sources. If you’re vegan, you can swap dairy for soy milk or other nondairy beverages. The diet suggests many gluten-free carbohydrates, like quinoa and oatmeal. So you could modify it to be gluten-free.
This very structured plan is ideal for anyone with heart disease who is willing to make most of his/her meals and get regular physical activity.
However, the Pritkins diet is not practical for many people. One of the biggest limitations is feeling satisfied and sticking to this very low-fat diet.
Initially, HCG diet was based on two factors-
- Low calorie diet ( around 500 calories per day)
- The HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin Hormone) administered in the body via injections.
HCG hormone is a hormone present in high levels at early stages of pregnancy. It boosts metabolism and helps to reduce a lot of fat from the body ( all without feeling hungry) The HCG effect is known to be controversial as it is claimed that the weight loss occurs due to ultra- low calorie diet and not HCG hormone.
This diet is a very low calorie diet and is divided into3 stages-
- Loading phase- Start with taking HCG and take high calorie, high fat diet for two days.
- Weight loss phase- Continue taking HCG and eat only 500 calories per day for 3-6 weeks.
- Maintenance phase- Stop taking HCG .Gradually increase food intake and limit calories. Avoid sugar and starch.
While people seeking minimal weight loss may spend three weeks on the middle phase, those seeking significant weight loss may be advised to follow the diet for six weeks — and even repeat all phases of the cycle several times.
During the weight loss phase, you’re only allowed to eat two meals per day — usually lunch and dinner. HCG meal plans generally suggest that each meal should contain one portion of lean protein, a vegetable, a piece of bread and a fruit.
Butter, oils and sugar should be avoided, but you’re encouraged to drink a lot of water. Mineral water, coffee and tea are allowed as well.
A Paleo diet is a dietary plan based on foods similar to what our ancestors might have been eaten during the Paleolithic era, which dates from approximately 2.5 million to 10,000 years ago.
A Paleo diet typically includes lean meats, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds — foods that in the past could be obtained by hunting and gathering. This diet is chosen mainly for weight reduction and eating healthy meals.
The primary difference between the Paleo diet and other healthy diets is the absence of whole grains and legumes, which are considered good sources of fiber, vitamins and other nutrients. Also absent from this diet are dairy products, which are good sources of protein and calcium. These foods not only are considered healthy but also are generally more affordable and accessible than such foods as wild game, grass-fed animals and nuts. For some people, a Paleo diet may be too expensive.
The following food items are advisable to eat in a Paleo diet-
3) Nuts and seeds
4) Lean meats, especially grass-fed animals or wild game
5) Fish, especially those rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as salmon, mackerel and albacore tuna
6) Oils from fruits and nuts, such as olive oil or walnut oil
The following foods are to be avoided when you are on a Paleo diet-
1) Grains, such as wheat, oats and barley
2) Legumes, such as beans, lentils, peanuts and peas
3) Dairy products
4) Refined sugar
7) Highly processed foods in general.